If you see an ant around your home never think that it’s a single one. There must be a colony of thousands of ants residing nearby. Ants have a vast network underground where they live and store food. To check this networks extensiveness, an entomologists team from National Pest Management Association (NPMA) created a metal nest by pouring melted metal in the holes created by insects.
They live underground in large colonies which may extend up to 25 feet. Firstly you see few insects on your kitchen floor who inspect and communicate their colonies about how to get in and take the food. If you notice they have a proper supply chain in which they move in lines and set a proper route for transfer of food. To cope with the situation you have to address the whole colonies.
Some pest control professional surveyed to collect more about ants infestation.
- Most probably you found ants in your kitchen and bathrooms. Places where food or moisture present.
- It was revealed by more than half of surveys that infestation of ants rising. It means there population also rising and in future, there are more chances of infestation.
- Odorous house ants and Carpenter ants infestation is mostly reported by pest controllers.
- All surveys show that ant infestation was controlled by treatment in previous years.
Threats and Avoidance From Ants
In all common household pests, ants are most common and ants got the first rank as a common irritating insect in recent years. Ants didn’t cause any severe damage to you, food and your property but the only problem is that ants create discomfort and irritation.
Follow these protection tips to avoid any damage to you and your family
- Most of the insect’s species live underground but some live on earth and develop nests in hiding places and corners. You can demolish these nests by proper cleaning of less used areas like stores, yards, beneath the furniture. Proper trimming of trees and cutting off excessive vegetation is compulsory to avoid insects.
- Moisture is favourable for insects, so try your best to keep moisture level low in your homes. Repair all the leaking pipes and taps. In humid days use air conditioners and use humidifiers to keep the moisture level low.
- Do not place food openly in shelves. Always place and store food in airtight containers or refrigerators. Insects have strong smelling power they can detect food source from a long distance so remove any potential source. Keep the kitchen clean and remove all spills and food particles from the kitchen and dining areas.
- Always use covered dustbins. Empty and wash then on regular basis.
- Keep your 1st line of defence strong by filling all the gaps in doors, windows and walls. Make sure that you sewerage pipes are covered and sealed.
- After following all these guidelines if you still notice any insect pest issue then immediately call your pest control operator for emergency response.
Some of the common species of ants found in our homes are
- Red Imported Fire Ants
- Pavement Ants
- Carpenter Ants
- Little Black Ants
- Acrobat Ants
- Odorous House Ants
- Argentine Ants
Every species have a different mode of action, habitat and food requirements. So it’s very important to identify the species before taking any precautionary measure.